Winchester Hotel Toronto Art Print
The Facts: Originally known as the Lakeview Hotel, the landmark Winchester Hotel was built in 1888 on Parliament Street in Toronto
The street is named for the Parliament Buildings of Upper Canada, built in 1794 on the south side of Front Street(then Palace Street) just west of Parliament Street. Berkeley Street was the first "Parliament Street", until the city moved Parliament Street one block east. The street route follows a trail originally cut through the woods by Governor John Graves Simcoe to his summer house on the Don River, Castle Frank. While Parliament Street was originally one of the most important boulevards in the city, the street now primarily passes post-industrial areas and housing projects.